The Columbia Business School is a public Ivy League business school located in Manhattan, New York, United States. The Columbia Business School is an extension of the Columbia University and was founded in 1916 in order to provide professional business training to students of the university. The Columbia is a highly selective business school with a reputation for excellence. The school is associated with 13 Nobel Prize winners and has an emphasis on the international business world.
Columbia Business School offers two options for entry into their MBA programs. The first option is their August Entry option. Applicants wishing to take this route will enter the program during the fall semester where they will use the fall and spring semesters to complete their core courses that are required for the program before undergoing a summer internship. For applicants who do not wish to participate in a summer internship or find that they do not need a summer internship they have the choice of entering in the January entry option. January entries will use that spring and summer semesters to complete their required core courses. This option is catered to applicants already in their preferred fields.
Duration: The duration of a MBA program at the Columbia Business School is typically two years.
- The applicant must provide all previous academic transcripts. Transcripts should be submitted in a PDF format.
- Applicants are required to submit their GMAT or GRE scores. These scores are only valid for a maximum of five years.
- International applicants must provide sufficient evidence of proficiency in the English language. Test results from the TOEFL and the PTE are acceptable. International applicants are only exempt from this requirement if they conducted their undergraduate studies at a university where English was the language of instruction.
- Applicants are required to write three essays and answer a short answer question. These essays are a way for the Admissions Committee to get to know the applicant and determine if they would be a good fit for the MBA program.
- The applicant must provide at least two recommendations from academic sources.
- All required documentation must be submitted online for consideration.
- Applicants are required to participate in an interview with one of the university’s alumni. Interviews are by invitation only and can be sent at any time after a successful application has been completed. If applicable the interview will be held in the candidate’s geographical area. International candidates will conduct interviews over the phone.
How to Apply:
The applicant is required to submit an online application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all the appropriate documentation is received by the university. Documentation must be in PDF format.
The school uses a process called a rolling admissions process. This means that applications can be accepted throughout the year regardless of deadlines. They will each be reviewed individually and a decision will be made. The early an application is received and approved the higher chances that you will be commencing studies in the next semester.
Attending an MBA program is expensive. There are many options such as payment programs and loans that are available to help fund the MBA programs. There are also merit based fellowships that will cover the cost of tuition for qualifying applicants.
For applicants wanting to be considered for the fellowships the application deadline is early January. For all other applicants the deadline is early April.